Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Meeting my new brother Dexter


As I said in my last post, I came home after my little operation. Mom put my carrier down in the family room while she took off her coat and my new brother Dexter came up to the carrier to check me out.

He was a bit scary looking (because he was so much bigger than me), but he didn't growl or hiss and I was used to taking care of myself out on the streets so I didn't worry too much about him. He seemed to be a big softy.

Mom had a plan all mapped out to ensure we got off on the right foot. She set up a room for me upstairs complete with en-suite litter box. Dexter wasn't going to be allowed in this room for an entire weekend, while I recovered from my surgery and got used to my new mom. The room had a bed and Mom was going to sleep with me every night to help me adjust.

Dexter had other plans. While Mom and I were in the room with the door closed, Dexter knew I was in there. He stuck his big orange and white paws under the door trying to touch me and cried to come in.

Eventually, Mom caved and allowed him in for a few minutes. She and Dad video taped our first meeting and we did quite well. I let Dexter know who was boss and for the most part ignored him. He sniffed me all over and tried to touch me, but was gentle. He wasn't a bully and I appreciated that.

That first night, Mom let him in again when we were on the bed and Dexter was so sweet. He came up to where I was curled up between my new mom's knees and he snuggled up next to me and went to sleep.

Ever since that night, we often snuggle up together at night and cuddle together. He really is a great brother who made me welcome from day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment